Friday, January 9, 2009

Seven Things ... Plus

Thanks to Mari Hobkirk (from my Plurk PLN) and her On the Road to 2.0 blog, I've been tagged for the 7 Things You May Not Need to Know About Me meme! Like many memes, it has been viral...and, as usual, I'm on the tail-end of the spread. However, this meme has the potential for being somewhat timeless as it helps to personalize our widespread and diverse PLN contributors.

So, here are my seven things:
  1. My life as an Army "brat" took me to various places in my childhood, to include Heidelberg, Germany and Seoul, Korea (where I graduated from high school). Though at the time I wasn't that excited about the moves every two years, I look back at those experiences as true treasures! I only wish I'd been older and more mature to better appreciate what those opportunities could offer.
  2. Before I entered the rat race of my professional demands, I often relaxed by creating stained glass panels. I would get so focused on the design, the cuts, the assembly, the soldering, and the finishing of each piece...I would get lost in time. Sometimes I would work for 10-12 hours without taking a break, even for food! That intensity was amazing and a reflection of a passion from the past.
  3. My favorite color is blue - just a random fact! Blue is considered a 'cool' color, but I like the warmth of its hues - from the turquoise to the teal - I love them all! All colors have a place in my world, but blue always rises to the top!
  4. In 1990, I spent three weeks in studying dolphin behavior in Tampa Bay via an Earthwatch expedition. I can't articulate the multi-faceted rewards of that summer - the relationships, the learning, the satisfaction of 'doing good', and the incredible dolphins. I have awesome memories, images, and other documentation that I bring out every once in a while...one day I'll indulge in another expedition.
  5. Volunteering as an Intake Counselor at our Neighborhood Health Clinic for the uninsured working poor is an important highlight of my life. I always leave there with a sense of awe: humbled by the proud, but desperate, individuals seeking affordable medical care (to which everyone should be entitled don't you think?); thoroughly enamored with the founders who still actively participate in the clinic; and glad to be part of a vibrant community of more than 500 volunteers.
  6. I can make a great roasted salmon with citrus and thyme entree! Though I love to cook, I don't often make/take the time. I often read cookbooks, just for the pure vicarious pleasure! Experimenting with foods and cooking techniques is inspiring and relaxing...now, if I could just figure out a way to evaporate the extra calories! :)
  7. The use and integration of technology tools in our world excites me and I can't wait to see what the future unfolds for us, especially in learning and teaching. But I'm also fearful that our educational institutions are not embracing change as quickly nor as thoroughly as needed. Nonetheless, I remain optimistic and hopeful that we will indeed create our futures, as desired!
*Lagniappe* - the little extra - I love to learn and, more importantly, I enjoy sharing what I know with those interested. If 'the teacher arrives when learner is ready,' how can we create that 'readiness'?

To play this meme correctly, I'm suppose to 'tag' seven more people to carry on the 'virus,' but I'm not sure there's anyone in my immediate PLN who hasn't responded....If so, please consider yourself 'tagged' and share your seven things!!

Photo credit to platinum on Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment